top of page

What travel documents are needed for Royal Caribbean Cruises?

Our Star Travelers sail with Royal Caribbean a lot! It's no surprise because they are the most awesome cruise line we've ever sailed with!

We thought it would be helpful to learn more about what travel documents really required when sailing with Royal Caribbean.

We hear from travelers all the time, "Do you need a passport to cruise?"

We hope this blog will answer that along with a few other questions, too!

For US Sailings

A US sailing is a cruise sailing that starts and ends at a US cruise port.

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

  • Official US Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.


  • U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise.

    • Lastly, below are details if you need additional information about your passport.

      • Visit the United Sates Department of State travel information website.

      • Visa Central is the passport and visa service provider that we recommend. When you contact Visa Central, reference our account 44988 for reduced service fees. Contact Visa Central:

        • Email:

        • Phone: 800-858-8579

United States Permanent Residents must have a United States Permanent Resident Card (license) and a passport from your home country is strongly recommended. Click here for additional information.

S2T highly recommends sailing with a passport in case air travel or ship reroutes are required. While these may be considered "emergency" circumstances, please understand that these emergencies are more common than not.

For International Sailings-

An international sailing starts and stops at an international port (which means not in the United States). An example of this could be the Puerto Rico cruisr port as a starting and stopping point.

US Citizens requires a passport book with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing and the corresponding visa required for entry and exit from the country.

Important Details about Travel Documents

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document (e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

If you have any questions about travel documents with Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line, be sure to contact your travel agent or the cruise line directly! It can be helpful to have proof of verification prior to sailing in the case of special circumstances.

To start planning your next cruise, let's get in touch! There is never a bad time to cruise!


Starlight2Travel, Inc. is a Cleveland-based online travel agency. We assist travelers from coast to coast. We specialize in cruises, romance, and family vacations! Our services provide incredible vacation experiences for couples, families, and groups. Please visit our website for travel information and inspiration. Our Star Traveler blog is also an amazing place to find travel tips and resources! Follow us for more travel information!


bottom of page